Academic Excellence in the High School
- Our classroom curriculum is based on philosophy of the International Baccalaureate (IB) World Programmes, an internationally-recognized education that challenges students both academically and personally.
- We limit our core class average to 20 students to ensure that teachers are able to provide personal attention for every student. Small classes also ensures that we can nurture students as they strive to become independent and life long learners, incorporating elements of the IB Learner Profile.
- We evaluate our students on both national and international stages.
- Our experienced and talented teachers encourage, inspire, and celebrate our students, every step of the way.
- Riverstone Diploma Programme candidates have passed the DP exams at an average that exceeds the national and global average
Our curriculum: The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) for grade 10 and the Diploma Programme (DP) for grades 11 and 12
The IB Middle Years Programme focuses on helping students make connections between classroom learning and the real world with the goal of developing creative, critical, and reflective thinkers. The breadth and depth of learning is prioritized.
- Language and literature (English)
- Language acquisition (Spanish or Mandarin Chinese)
- Individuals and societies (Humanities)
- Sciences (Life and earth sciences in Gr 6-8; Theoretical Physics in Gr 9)
- Arts (one semester of art and one semester of music each year)
- Physical and health education
Grade 10 students explore through their MYP capstone project, the Personal Project
The Personal Project Exhibition is the culmination of a year long process of independent research, planning, production, and presentation. The projects run the gamut of creativity and are intended to be of personal interest and to be personally challenging for each student.
Download a brochure that highlights the Class of 2017 and their Personal Projects.
Students in grades 11 and 12 are challenged in the Diploma Programme
All Riverstone students students in grades 11-12 are enrolled in the IB Diploma Programme, a demanding pre-university course of study that is designed for highly motivated students aged 16 to 19. The program has earned a reputation for rigorous assessment, giving IB diploma holders access to the world’s leading universities. The program goal is to provide students with the values and opportunities that will enable them to develop sound judgment, make wise choices, and respect others in the global community.
With the strengths of a traditional liberal arts curriculum, the IB program also has three additional required elements including
Together, the program equips students with the skills and attitudes necessary for success in higher education and employment.
Read more about how universities and students evaluate the IB Diploma Programme.
Riverstone has the largest selection of Diploma Programme classes
*Course selections are reviewed annually and subject to change
**Diploma Programme Subject Briefs can be viewed by clicking on the (HL) and/or (SL) next to the subjects listed above.
Riverstone’s experience, small class size, and course selections maximize the DP experience for students
Every IB World School is different. At Riverstone International School, we believe that we maximizes the values of the International Baccalaureate Programmes and our students’ success in the following ways:
- We are Idaho’s most experience IB World School with over 10 years of experience in developing our curriculum
- Small class sizes that ensure that every student receives personal attention from their teachers
- Small classes that allow teachers to develop more engaging classroom activities and assessments than a larger class allows
- Largest course selection in the Treasure Valley
Riverstone students exceed average DP pass rate
Since May 2006, nearly 200 Riverstone students have taken the IB exams with the intention of earning their IB Diploma
63-66% of United States diploma candidates earned the IB Diploma in the past two years
73% of Riverstone diploma candidates over the past 10 years have earned the IB Diploma (these students attended Riverstone 4+ years, including students for whom English is not their first language)
78% of diploma candidates worldwide earned the IB Diploma in the past two years
83% of Riverstone diploma candidates earned the IB Diploma in the past two years
Grade 11 and 12 students explore through the DP capstone project, the Extended Essay
The Extended Essay is a self-directed research paper of up to 4,000 words. Students choose their own topic so long as it relates to a subject group.
The Extended Essay has long term benefits of developing research skills that benefit students in college and thereafter.
Download our Meet the Seniors brochure that features brief introductions to the Class of 2015 as well as their Extended Essay titles.